The Research Unit was created in Arezzo in 1908 as an “Experimental Cellar” connected to the “Cattedra of Agriculture”, with the aim to carry out research in enology and to perform analyses on musts and wines for local governmental bodies and private businesses.
In 1936 became the “Tuscan Oenological Institute”, supervised by the National Department of Agriculture with the participation of local governmental bodies.
The Institute continued working under this structural organization until 1968 when it turned into the “Experimental Institute”, as part of the Department of Agricultural and Forestry Affairs, becoming the “Peripheral Operative Section” of the ISV - Experimental Institute for Viticulture of Conegliano.
Since 2004, the Arezzo branch has been part of the Scientific Network of the C.R.A. taking on the denomination of “Research Unit for Viticulture” (CRA-VIC).
Under the management of esteemed scholars such as Giuseppe De Astis and Trofimo Paulsen, the Experimental Cellar in the past did important research on Tuscan native vines, testing enological techniques and chemical analyses and promotional activities for the wine-making sector on the regional level.
The present Unit has a laboratory facility for analyses on grapes and wine; it also has an experimental farm of about 6 hectares. It operates in the viticulture research field, with particular attention on vineyard environment and germplasm enhancement of native vines. The Unit has created an ampelographic collection that gathers 500 different accessions mainly from central Italy.