The Research Unit for Viticulture and Enology in Southern Italy (CRA-UTV) was established in 1968 with the Decree no. 1318 of November 23, as a peripheral branch of the Experimental Institute for Viticulture of Conegliano Veneto.
Since 1969, with the Presidential Decree 1164/69, it also controls the propagating materials of vine in Abruzzo, Basilicata, Calabria , Campania, Molise, Apulia and Sicily).
In the second half of the 70s, the “Lamarossa Experimental Farm” was implanted in the countryside of Rutigliano to store the wine and table grape germplasm and compare the different training systems.
“Lamarossa Farm” was uprooted in the late '80s (with a partial transfer of the collections, with the use of the micropropagation technique, in the “Paparusso” farm in Turi countryside) to make it available for a renovation variety program and collections through an health improving of the propagating material. Program then not realized.
Subsequently, between 2004 and 2008 the Experimental Farm was almost entirely replanted using extraordinary projects resources, such as Aseut, Primitivo, and VITIVIN-VALUT in particular.
In 1999 the Agricultural Research Council (CRA), the Research Agency of the Italian Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Forest Policies, was founded to comprise all the experimental institutes of Italy. In 2007, following the CRA internal re-organization, the peripheral branch of the Experimental Institute for Viticulture was transformed into “The Research Unit for Viticulture and Enology in Southern Italy” with annexed the Experimental Cellar of Barletta, expanding its mission over the entire wine and table grape industry.